Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Preschool and thankfulness



The first week of preschool is already fun and successful and I am thankful for that in just the first two days. The most rewarding thing to see and hear is the sweet prayer that comes out of the children. The first challenge will be separating the children by skill level. Right now we have them separated by age - 3's, 4's and 5's - however, some 3's are ready to move up or down, etc. The children love learning. We have written a curriculum titled "God's Creation" and basing it on the 7 days of creation. The children will learn shapes, numbers and colors as well as the Bible Stories of each day.





They are quick learners! Today the older children remembered the answers to many of the questions I asked about Genesis 1: 1-5. They also love playtime outside and it is almost as fun to watch the mamas and auntees play as it is to watch the children. We played duck, duck, goose and talked about circles and running around the circle and one of the little boy's tagged his mama. She got up and ran around laughing and yelling "circle, circle, circle" just like the children were doing and then tagged another auntee!







One of the crafts that the children did was cutting up yellow pieces of paper and then glue them into a circle to create the sun. Some looked like circles, some looked like mosaic abstract art but all of the little artists knew the difference between the darkness and the light, between black and yellow and even that the light represents God. My little students are Ugandan genuses, but I am probably biased! A simple star sticker each day encourages them to be obedient and we are treating the 3 kids each week with the most stars to a ride into town on a boda boda to get ice cream.

During lunch I visited with Mama Cook and helped her sort rice (or pretended to help - I really am so slow at it compared to her) but it gives me the opportunity to talk about our beliefs. She is a converted Muslim and says that she knows Jesus is her Lord and Savior. She made African Tea today for me and it is the best in Uganda! She loves making it for all the HEAL teams. She is a special lady and I'm thrilled we will be laughing and cooking in Heaven together!

After lunch and naptime, we surprised the children with all the dress up clothes. Outside playtime has never been more colorful and fun to watch! There were firemen, princesses, spiderman, cowboys, Yoda, spacemen and many more little colorful imaginative creatures running around having a fun time. Watching the children play made me aware of all that I am thankful for. The children are so happy and loved and I am thankful.

I am thankful that there are places that allow children to be adopted. I am also thankful for places that allow children to stay in their own country to grow up and make a difference. I am thankful for places here that help families stay together. God is showing me that all these situations are right and perfect. He decides the plan for all of us. And I am thankful that I do not have to figure it out.

I am so thankful tonight that there are places here working with 14 year old girls having babies. Babies having babies and nowhere to turn.......this continues to bother me. I am thankful that I am able to help the girls at Canaan learn about purity and that it is perfectly okay to have a menstrual cycle and deliver something so easy to get as kotex pads. I am thankful that my eyes are opened here every single day. I am thankful for everything that has happened in my life to get me to this point - good and bad. I am thankful that God has taught me how to live through trials and that my weaknesses are okay because He makes me stronger. I feel closest to God here because I know that I am in His plan and I feel lifted up because of everyone's prayers.

Unless a life is lived for others, it is not worthwhile

Mother Teresa of Calcutta

We never know how God will answer our prayers, but we can expect that He will get us involved in His plan for the answer. If we are true intercessors, we must be ready to take part in God’s work on behalf of the people for whom we pray.” – Corrie Ten Boom

"Let my heart be broken with the things that break God's heart" – Bob Pierce, World Vision founder








No comments:

Post a Comment

About H.E.A.L. Ministries...

My photo
H.E.A.L.’s vision is to bring hope and healing to widows, orphans, and abandoned women and children in a Christ-centered environment. HEAL Ministries was founded on James 1:27 - "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."