Monday, July 30, 2012

Reflections from a team member.....


I'm Casey Lewis and I traveled to Uganda from Tennessee..... When I first arrived I was in shock.  It literally took me a couple of days to take it all in.. There were new smells, new people and definitely new living conditions that I was not used to; a new culture all together. I was so shocked that people actually lived in these conditions. I had seen pictures but to see it first hand was truly amazing. These people that lived in the "slums" were different though. They did not seem to have pity for themselves. Their joy was truly something remarkable.. It was as if they did not know that their living conditions were so horrible.. 
They praised Jesus like I have never seen before and their smiles could light up a room.. It was a little bit of a smack in the face for me because hear I sit with air condition, running water, a bed to sleep on, food to eat whenever I want it- and yet I will still find something to complain about.. 
It definitely opened my eyes and made me realize how selfish we are in the US because we have everything compared to these people but our joy and gratitude towards the Lord is absolutely nothing in comparison to these people of Africa. 

I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to be a part of a Heal Ministries team and work with Tina.  What they are doing in Uganda is truly amazing. They are making changes that are very visible. It does not happen over night. It starts by building relationships with people and gaining their trust and Tina has done a great job with that. The people love her in Uganda, they trust her, and they listen to her. God is doing big things in Uganda and this is just the beginning of it!



"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."  ~Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment

About H.E.A.L. Ministries...

My photo
H.E.A.L.’s vision is to bring hope and healing to widows, orphans, and abandoned women and children in a Christ-centered environment. HEAL Ministries was founded on James 1:27 - "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."