Saturday, July 21, 2012

The HEAL team dishes out encouragement



The HEAL team has had some pretty amazing experiences.  One will forever hold a special place in my heart.  We took Richard (from Amani Baby Cottage) to visit his grandmother in the village.  I have visited his grandmother three other times and in these short past visits, I have grown to love her.  We have become friends.  Richard is under two years old and loved by everyone.  His mother died and his father abandoned him.  His grandmother has now buried six children, most of them dying because of aids.  She wanted all the ladies to sit with her in her small hut and she was anxious to give us fruit, an African tradition.

We walked behind her mud hut to look at the graves.  Looking over at JaJa tearing up as she embraced Richard was overwhelming.  She is not able to care for Richard but she loves him very much.  Richard is where he belongs for now.  While he was a little scared, he soon warmed up to JaJa and walked around her home in his little squeaky shoes.  When we were leaving, he said "bye bye Jaja" and she smiled bigger than ever.

The team enjoyed visiting her remote village.  Most of the neighbors live in small mud huts.  The smells of the home-made alcohol all around the village are so strong that I developed a headache.  There were many children that came out to see us and to catch a glimpse of Richard.  I asked why they were not in school and, of course, I received the same answers that I always do:  school fees, work, etc.  We sat around and talked and a friend translated.  JaJa met everyone on the team and hugged Jim because she was so impressed that he was a dad and a father still with his family.  She was so impressed that he cared enough to come to Africa.  The men in this particular village start drinking the home-made alcohol early in the morning.  We understood why she was embracing this man that was setting an example for the children watching.  The team visiting them in their village gave them a boost of encouragement that was needed.

Another amazing morning was our mini-women's conference at Pastor Andrew's church.  Both Bible Study groups that I work with in Masese showed up to hear about God and to praise Him loudly!  I was so thrilled to see that over 80 women showed up.  More of them show up when I travel to their home-site but I wanted to see who was willing to travel just to hear more about God.  They were so full of the Holy Spirit in song and dance that it was overwhelming.  Their freedom to express their love for the Lord is something that everyone can learn from.  I had asked June (a team member) to speak on HEALING - and she did a fabulous job.  A few months back when I told the ladies about my past with cancer, I told them about June because she wrote a book on healing with all the scriptures that helped me get through some hard times.  Seeing her talk to my friends was so special and they loved it.  They left knowing where their JOY comes from, encouraged, and lifted up.
God has placed some amazing men and women in my life right here in Uganda.  The team members reminded me of that when we were sharing our God moments last night.  I have amazing friends that pray for me and work with me.  While God has called HEAL Ministries to this wonderful land full of red dirt, He has also provided the men and women to help us.  Not once have I had to look for people to help.  Every person that helps HEAL has come to us.  I am in constant awe of how much He cares about every detail!

"If I can put one touch of a rosy sunset into the life of any man or woman, I shall feel that I have worked with God."  George MacDonald
    



No comments:

Post a Comment

About H.E.A.L. Ministries...

My photo
H.E.A.L.’s vision is to bring hope and healing to widows, orphans, and abandoned women and children in a Christ-centered environment. HEAL Ministries was founded on James 1:27 - "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."