Tuesday, November 03, 2009

It is with mixed feelings that I post today because it is my last day in Corozal.....until I return.  I have bonded with my friends here in Christ and I have grown to love them deeply.  

Pictured here is the cook for the Concepcion  School.  The school has moms to help out by cooking:  it helps that family that cooks get a little money and reduces the cost of their meals for the school children.  Each child pays $1 for a plate of food which is equal to fifty cents in the U.S.  The villages here in Belize really try to help each other in the community.  

The boys in front of the chalk board holding up letters were learning both the English and the Spanish alpahbet.   concepcion is an English speaking school but the village speaks predominantly Spanish.

It was a blessing to be able to assists the Mendez family (the pastor's family of the Presbyterian Church that we partner with) with money to assists them in their bus crisis.  One of the biggest blessings that  I receive in the field is actually giving to those that we encourage to continue God's work.
Today, I shared my testimony and gave a devotion to the staff.  Even as I was talking, I was reminded of how God loves us all so deeply and how we should view every second that we are given the opportunity to serve Him as a golden opportunity.  I also met a lady that is a single mom here and struggling with her children.  Her discouragement reminded me of my past and how each of us have only one difference:  birth place AND one huge similarity....we all need Jesus.  

I do believe that the culture here has an advantage over the U.S.  In the U.S. we have the daily distractions that keep us away from our focus on Christ.  Here, the focus is family and God and reaching out to others.  I think I have learned more from my friends here than I could ever teach them.

As I leave Corozal and head back to Belize City, it is with mixed emotions.......sad to leave my friends here....excited to see my friends and the orphanage there.......anxious to return with teams.......and realizing home is truly where our heart is.  

Deuteronomy 10:18 (New International Version)

18 "He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing."





No comments:

Post a Comment

About H.E.A.L. Ministries...

My photo
H.E.A.L.’s vision is to bring hope and healing to widows, orphans, and abandoned women and children in a Christ-centered environment. HEAL Ministries was founded on James 1:27 - "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."